For the gluten free pastry
250ml cold water
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
125g plain gluten free flour
1/2 tsp xanthan gum
Pinch of salt
25g coconut sugar
100g cold unsalted butter (or dairy-free butter or coconut oil) cut into cubes
For the pecan filling
80g unsalted butter (or dairy-free butter or coconut oil) at room temperature
170g maple syrup
Pinch of salt
Seeds from 1 vanilla pod
1 tsp ground cinnamon
250g pecan halves
You will also need a 10cm pie dish.
1. In a small bowl, mix together the cold water and apple cider vinegar, and place it into the freezer until needed.
2. Sift together the gluten free flour, coconut flour, xanthan gum, salt and coconut sugar.
3. Add the butter to the bowl and use your fingers to pinch together the butter and flour until the mixture resembles chunky breadcrumbs.
4. Add the ice cold water/vinegar mixture a tablespoon at a time, mixing the dough between each spoonful, until it comes together in a bowl.
5. Shape the dough into a disc shape, wrap in baking parchment and put it in the fridge for at least an hour.
6. In a large bowl, whisk together the butter, maple syrup, eggs, salt, vanilla and cinnamon. Stir in the pecan halves.
7. Preheat the oven to 180c.
8. Remove the pastry dough from the fridge and place it in between two large sheets of baking parchment (this will stop the dough from sticking as you roll it out).
9.Roll the dough out into a roughly circular shape, until it's about 3mm thick. Peel back the top layer of the parchment paper. Carefully lift the parchment paper with the dough on and turn it upside down onto the pie dish. Peel back and remove the parchment and then gently press the dough into the pie dish, shaping it so that it's snug against the sides and in the corners. Don't worry about any cracks or tears - you can simply fill them in with offcuts of the pastry. Cut away the excess dough around the edges.
10. Pour the pecan filling into the prepared pie dish and bake in the oven for about 30 minutes - a wobble. The filling should also puff up during baking but it will settle as it cools.
11. Leave to cool completely before serving.